limited production :: hand crafted :: high performance :: rechargeable :: premium flashlights

This is my blog about creating a startup LED flashlight business. I'm a designer, fabricator, and strategist and I'm passionate about making ideas real. I believe that products are about people, that they should be built to last, deliver real value, and that we need to do a better job than we have in the recent past.

Most of my career has been contract or freelance work and I've crafted products and strategies for both big international companies and startups. I also used to work in the "industry" fabricating special effects for film and TV, along with the occasional hot rod. Bottom line, I love making things.

I'm starting this blog so you can follow along, from day one, and see what it's like to start a business, or fail in the process. Only time will tell, but I hope you find this interesting enough to stay tuned, comment, link, like, tweet, and (most importantly) participate in turning this idea into something tangible and valuable.

For a good place to get started with general info about who, what, why, etc., check out the "Stickies" on the left side of the page. Thanks for stopping by and please don't hesitate to ask questions and get involved!

Please sign up for my email list to get updates and notifications for contests and giveaways!

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

First Shots: Quick-Release AAA Key Chain Flashlight!

Hi everyone,

I've been sitting on this project for a while. It's been about six months in the making. I just applied for a patent, so now I can show you some photos of the world's first Quick-Release Key Chain Flashlight! The images below are "beta" prototypes and fully functional. More than likely, the production versions will be offered in Type III hard anodize (with knurling) and Electroless Nickel (with fine flutes or smooth head) to match my other offerings.

If you are interested in seeing this light make it to production, please post a comment below! 


The new light is just over 1/2" in diameter and 3" long, not including the QR portion. In keeping with the Prometheus focus on high-quality "usable" light, this model will feature the 92+ CRI Nichia 219 LED (4500K neutral white). This means it won't have the most output of "any" AAA light, but it will have superior color accuracy for when you really "need" to have some extra light. I'm not aware of any AAA light on the market that comes standard with the 219, but the light quality is nothing short of spectacular. 


Output is expected to be around 70 lumens with two modes, "moonlight" and full power. "Moonlight" is a flashaholic term for really-low and is excellent for use with night-adapted vision. On high, this little wonder is still as bright as the old incandescent "cop" MagLite that takes two D cell batteries. Did I mention it fits on your keychain?

40 comments:

  1. Where do I send the money I want one

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the interface? Twisty to switch modes? Doesn't really matter. I will buy one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested, but I'd also like to know the interface and the price point.

    I'm wondering, too, if you would consider an option that is fixed on the keychain instead of quick-release. I'd be concerned that the flashlight might quick-release itself right off my keychain...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely something I would love owning. I am currently using the Preon ReVO on my keychain and love it. Been looking for a standby replacement in case I damage the ReVO and so bought myself a Peak Eiger with Nichia 219. Just disliked how stiff the twisty head is, especially with wet fingers. If you are finalizing the production of this light, please make it easy to turn the head, especially with wet fingers. Also, I am not too sure I like the QR part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would buy at least two or three of these. How much and when?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful bit of work. Count me as very interested, 2 or 3 units interested...

    Really impressive, more 'working art' from Prometheus

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome!! I'll be down for one or two!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also "absolutely interested". Looks great! Curious about price point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything about this light would be perfect for me -except for the length. I feel that AAA lights are just too long for keychain carry, I like as little bulk as possible and therefore keep a 10180 light on my keys. I like it because it doesn't interfere with the use of my keys or feel awkward in my pocket. If you would consider a 10180, maybe even a 10280 body for your light I would be all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. want.... one, two, three....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to see you delving into the smaller lights. I love the AAA size for EDC. I'm not a keychain-carry guy, but if you end up offering a model with a pocket clip, I'll be in line!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Rob R, good idea, but quick release for something like that is not good idea.
    Pocket clip?
    I'LL TAKE 10!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm interested, looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Make this happen, I like the one with the knurled head! I will get one... I will get 2 if you make one in Ti!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Make it happen - I should be getting your pen soon - might as well have a flashlight to match.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd be in for one or two for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like a great product - it will perfectly match my KickStarter pen:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great Project. Sign me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need one of these for writing in the dark with that lovely pen off KickStarter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely - one of each thanks, to match my soon-to-be favourite pen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Obviously I would love to see your Ti clip feature on one of the models though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If this is built to the same standard as your pens, and if you make a pocket clip version, I'd absolutely snap one up immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would buy many of these. Build them and we will come!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Keep the balls rolling!! Nice posts you have given for us.
    best flashlight Review

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats for having the successful presentations.Hoping for the more presentation in future.Thanks and keep sharing.
    https://www.thekidspoint.com/

    ReplyDelete