limited production :: hand crafted :: high performance :: rechargeable :: premium flashlights

This is my blog about creating a startup LED flashlight business. I'm a designer, fabricator, and strategist and I'm passionate about making ideas real. I believe that products are about people, that they should be built to last, deliver real value, and that we need to do a better job than we have in the recent past.

Most of my career has been contract or freelance work and I've crafted products and strategies for both big international companies and startups. I also used to work in the "industry" fabricating special effects for film and TV, along with the occasional hot rod. Bottom line, I love making things.

I'm starting this blog so you can follow along, from day one, and see what it's like to start a business, or fail in the process. Only time will tell, but I hope you find this interesting enough to stay tuned, comment, link, like, tweet, and (most importantly) participate in turning this idea into something tangible and valuable.

For a good place to get started with general info about who, what, why, etc., check out the "Stickies" on the left side of the page. Thanks for stopping by and please don't hesitate to ask questions and get involved!

Please sign up for my email list to get updates and notifications for contests and giveaways!

Monday, February 18, 2013

More Blasted & Polished Shorty Bodies Available

Hi All,

I have 4 more Blasted & Polished shorty bodies for sale on my site (link).


They say that when you are delivering news that is not good news, you should find some good news to lead with. Now that we got that out of the way...the other news...you will notice that there as been a price increase on the shorty bodies...and there will be a price increase on Blue-Label lights as well.

After doing my finances for 2012, and then deciding I'd like to keep running my own business, it is abundantly clear that my current pricing structure isn't going to allow me to do that. As both a business owner, and as a customer, I know price increases are feared and reviled. However, that doesn't change reality. I need to acknowledge (through pricing) that the three finishes I offer take vastly different amounts of time and effort (and lost/rejected parts) to accomplish. Henceforth:

Shorty pricing (body only): 

  • Blasted & Polished - $70
  • Stone Washed - $60
  • Full Brushed - $50

Alpha Blue-Label pricing (light only):  

  • Blasted & Polished - $375
  • Stone Washed - $350
  • Full Brushed - $325

It gives me no pleasure to raise prices. Frankly, I'd be happy to give away lights, but there is that pesky supporting myself, my family, future college tuition for my son, and progressively more grown up stuff that I have to think about these days. What I'd really like is a patron that would offer me total financial security and creative freedom in exchange for delivering more and more awesome to doorsteps around the world every month. So, if that describes you, please give me a call.

Getting back to business stuff. Just so you know, my plan isn't just to raise prices and hold on for angry comments. My short term plan is two-fold.

  1. I'm actually cutting back on production of Blue-Label lights. At most, I will offer 15 lights per month...5 of each finish. I plan to do more limited runs, special editions, and one-off lights. Some months there may not be any standard lights at all. At the moment, next month is looking sparse. 
  2. I also plan to focus on several major projects that I'm putting off because I don't have time. One is my Prometheus Pen, another is a smaller and much less expensive flashlight, and finally an undisclosed project related to lighting, but not portable. So please stay tuned. Things are going to start happening fast :) 
Just so you know it's not vapor

1 comment:

  1. It makes it tough when you have to raise prices but I am certainly not going to let that stop me from ordering from you. I am very happy with my flashlight and am excited about your future endeavors. The pen is very EXCITING as well as a new smaller and less expensive flashlight (it'll be interesting to see what that looks like... perhaps it will allow me to have all prometheus lights in my inventory?). I anxiously await ordering one of your new pens as well as the other products you will be offering down the road. Wishing you the best in all of your projects,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete