limited production :: hand crafted :: high performance :: rechargeable :: premium flashlights

This is my blog about creating a startup LED flashlight business. I'm a designer, fabricator, and strategist and I'm passionate about making ideas real. I believe that products are about people, that they should be built to last, deliver real value, and that we need to do a better job than we have in the recent past.

Most of my career has been contract or freelance work and I've crafted products and strategies for both big international companies and startups. I also used to work in the "industry" fabricating special effects for film and TV, along with the occasional hot rod. Bottom line, I love making things.

I'm starting this blog so you can follow along, from day one, and see what it's like to start a business, or fail in the process. Only time will tell, but I hope you find this interesting enough to stay tuned, comment, link, like, tweet, and (most importantly) participate in turning this idea into something tangible and valuable.

For a good place to get started with general info about who, what, why, etc., check out the "Stickies" on the left side of the page. Thanks for stopping by and please don't hesitate to ask questions and get involved!

Please sign up for my email list to get updates and notifications for contests and giveaways!

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Side Projects: Zipper (awesome) Pulls

I don't really have time to be doing side projects...but I've been thinking about this one for ages. I had a little down time yesterday and decided to whip out a zipper pull. When I started, a tear drop shape was the plan, but ultimately I was really happy with this "pill" shape. I'd actually like to make an sell these, so please leave a comment if you'd be interested. I'm thinking I'll do them in both nickel plated aluminum (to match your Alpha) as well as titanium.

A 6061 aluminum zipper pull with 2mm spectra cord
Why zipper pulls? Eh. I like them I guess :) I've always used spectra to make my own zipper pulls on my outdoor clothing. For winter use you don't really want a metal bead, so I normally just have the cord with a knot. I don't do as much hard-core outdoor stuff anymore so it seemed fun to have a zipper pull that was a bit more "dressy" if you will. Purple and yellow spectra? Well, that's the only 2mm cord they had at the REI on the way home from the shop.

3 glow-in-the-dark o-rings...you could use black for formal occasions
Of course these things could be any shape, but I tend to prefer a more basic aesthetic. I think there is beauty in simplicity. I'll do some more designs for due diligence, but I'm pretty happy with this one. I cut three small grooves in the bead to hold o-rings. The ones I put on this bead are glowy, but black, and maybe even blue (fluorosilicone) could be an option if I can find the right size. But I know you are waiting to see the glow right?

Right after being charged up...with an Alpha of course! 
Okay, this is pretty friggin awesome. Unfortunately glow technology is in about the same place it was in 1983 so the glow wears off pretty quickly. There is plenty of time to impress your friends though, if you are in the dark and can charge up the bead with a flashlight :)

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome dude. Start making them now. Great for formal events or camping.

    ReplyDelete