limited production :: hand crafted :: high performance :: rechargeable :: premium flashlights

This is my blog about creating a startup LED flashlight business. I'm a designer, fabricator, and strategist and I'm passionate about making ideas real. I believe that products are about people, that they should be built to last, deliver real value, and that we need to do a better job than we have in the recent past.

Most of my career has been contract or freelance work and I've crafted products and strategies for both big international companies and startups. I also used to work in the "industry" fabricating special effects for film and TV, along with the occasional hot rod. Bottom line, I love making things.

I'm starting this blog so you can follow along, from day one, and see what it's like to start a business, or fail in the process. Only time will tell, but I hope you find this interesting enough to stay tuned, comment, link, like, tweet, and (most importantly) participate in turning this idea into something tangible and valuable.

For a good place to get started with general info about who, what, why, etc., check out the "Stickies" on the left side of the page. Thanks for stopping by and please don't hesitate to ask questions and get involved!

Please sign up for my email list to get updates and notifications for contests and giveaways!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Disaster relief & disaster preparedness

Hi folks,

I've been watching a lot of the news coming out of Japan. Nothing like a major disaster to put emergency preparedness on the brain. Living here in the Bay Area, the news of major earthquakes elsewhere is particularly sobering.

Anyway, today I had an idea. I've decided to donate $20 from every sale, for the rest of the month, to relief aid in Japan. Recently I've been thankful for the electricity that is allowing me to post this message, lights that turn on with a switch, the water that runs freely from the tap, and the gas that fires the stove on which I can cook my fridge full of food.
Courtesy of Paypal
I only have 4 finished lights left for sale through the store on my website

I have 10 more sitting on my bench that are fully built and waiting for drivers to arrive in the mail. I hope to have them in a week, but it could be two. Five of those are "style 1" with the combination bead blast and polish. The other five are the same except they have a tumbled finish instead of the bead blast. It's a little more subtle and less contrast than the bead blast. I'll try and have pics tomorrow. 

I'd be willing to pre-sell those ten (pay now/ship later) if you want to help yourself to a new light and also help a few folks on the other side of the world. 

If you want to pre-pay please email me directly and I will send you an invoice: jason(at)darksucks(dot)com

If I sell all the lights that's $280 bucks that I can donate. Not a lot, but more than nothing. Hopefully it will help someone stay warm, dry, and fed. 

14 lights, 14 days, can we do it? 

Cheers,

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment